Wednesday 26 March 2014

Francesca Woodman. LENS.


Untitled, Italy
Francesca Woodman (American, 1958–1981)
 1977 - 1978
 Photographs
Gelatin silver print, 27.9x 35.6cm

I like the way Francesca uses simplistic imagery, and she creates a dark feeling to her works the draws you in. I really like the use of the subject matter in this work, I like the way the white stands out against the against the grey and black, it draws the eye in, and although white is usually seen as a pure and clean colour, but in this photo is almost poses a a question, like why is the figure in the middle of trees covered in a sheet, what is she doing there? It creates an eerie atmosphere that I really the the look of.


Space2, Providence, Rhode Island
Francesca Woodman
1975-1976
Gelatin silver print25.4 x 20.3 cm

I choose this photo as an example of motion bur, as I would like to use this technique in my own work, I like the feeling of movement and the feeling it gives you, and the way you can't tell who the person is or what they look like.

No comments:

Post a Comment